Monday, December 08, 2008

Wild Strawberries.

So when I was a young punk in High School I found this great T-shirt at Crossroads Trading Co. It was a white t-shirt with the iconic image of "tank man" on the front bordered by Chinese characters. On the back was an image of a Chinese youth holding a flower and flashing a peace sign. Under that were the words "Remember the Chinese Students Revolution." I was ten years old sitting in the comfort of my suburban home when I watched kids in a dimly lit scene taking on more responsibility than was ever expected of them. I thought of that today as I read of student protests in Taiwan. And as we approach the twentieth anniversary of the Tienanmen Square Massacre (it's now called a protest on Wikipedia) I can only hope that this is more than a fleeting moment in the gradual democratization of not just Taiwan but the whole of China.

No comments: